Wednesday, December 12, 2012

becoming what i am




 Sitting at the picnic table this afternoon, just as we had each Wednesday this semester, the sun shined brighter than normal. Christmas break upon us, we finished the last lesson in the discipleship material we were walking through together. As we closed our binders, one question lingered. “What  is the biggest thing you will take away from this semester from all we have covered?” She painted the most beautiful picture.

“If a man I loved was to come to me and tell me that beyond a shadow of a doubt I was the most the most beautiful girl he had ever seen, and I was fully persuaded that it was true, the last thing I would do would go try to be ugly for the rest of my life. Everything in me would want to dress up for him and be beautiful and elegant. At the same time knowing how he saw me would free me to be honest, I could wear my sweats and be completely comfortable knowing that he still saw me as beautiful. That is how my relationship with the Lord should be. Because He sees me as holy, I want to strive to be holy, righteous, and pure. But at the same time, because He sees me as holy I know I can be honest with Him when I don’t feel holy. Through sanctification, I am becoming what He already sees me as.”

I was speechless.

I was challenged.

I was humbled.

And I still am.

No comments:

Post a Comment